01 09 10

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Planting Peas and Potatoes

 
All but a couple of rows of the potatoes are planted.  Yesterday I bought some Yukon gold potatoes and will plant them this week.  I have five varieties of potatoes planted and will plant the tomatoes, peppers and other tender plants after Mothers Day to make sure they don't freeze.  That is not a guaranteed they won't freeze because a few years ago I have had it freeze on the 4th of July.  I had some beautiful tomatoes I had planted from seed that were looking great until the afternoon of the 4th - they died.

The peas went in earlier last month but some of our cute little birds (not too cute when they eat your seeds) ate most of the seeds so I had to replant. The peas are planted above the green house so you can't see them but some of the first planting is coming up.  I had read on the internet that if you clip the peas with a toenail clipper they will come up sooner.  I did a test and found the ones that were clipped did not come up any sooner than the ones that didn’t get clipped so in my opinion save yourself a lot of time and work and just plant the peas - then water. 
 I would suggest investing in a planter when you have a large area, it will save you time and wear and tear on your body.  It is a little expensive to begin with but in the long run well worth the money.  If you want to know what kind of planter I have just ask as it is a good one and has lasted me for years.  I did buy the extra planter plates so I could plant a large variety of seeds.  Every year when I get it out at planting time I am so thankful to have it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment