01 09 10

Monday, July 1, 2013

Grandma's Flour Sifter

 

            When I was a young girl I would go to Grandma’s house and she would be making something and get her old flour sifter out of the kitchen cupboard.  The one thing that I thought of when I would saw it was it had flour on it.  I of course wondered why Grandma didn’t wash it as she was so clean throughout the house.

          When I asked her about it she told me you don’t wash your flour sifter that often because it clogs up and doesn't sift as well. 

          Since then I have accumulated a flour sifter of hers and then have gone about collecting ones I like.  My favorites are the sifters that have three sifters in one.  I have one cup ones and of course your old traditional sifter.  You may find them all over in different sizes.  Now using the old fashioned flour sifter has gone by the way side, all the cooking TV shows have the big strainers they sift with. 

          For me there is just something about using an old fashioned sifter that makes me feel like you are baking, it brings back those good old memories. 


1 comment:

  1. I just got a recipe from a friend for his Grandmother's Portuguese Sweet Bread. It has the measurement for flour expressed in terms of sifters, as in "4 sifters of flour." I imagine his grandma's sifter might have been like yours. Can you help me figure out how many cups are in a sifter-full?

    ReplyDelete