01 09 10

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Writing Your Own History

 
 
        As your getting older you think back on your life.  I have always been told to keep a journal, sometimes I do really well and then there is now where I haven’t written anything for months.  Let’s face it; my memory isn’t all it used to be.

           When you look at the above picture you see an old building and truck with a mud puddle out front.  What I see in my story is my parent’s first hardware store in the early 50’s.  The old truck we called Dinky Poo, I would love to ride in it with Dad, and I spent a great deal of time in that old truck, it was like family.  The door to the shop had a hole cut in the bottom of it later on for our dog Junior to go in and out, Dad had to enlarge it once because Junior got fat and was stuck in the door.  Once Dad gave him away and he walked around 80 miles in the dead of winter and came home, it took him close to three weeks, Dad never gave him away again.  The pipe sticking out of the old building was to an old pot belly stove that kept the shop warm in the cold winters.  I could go on and on.
            After my Grandmother died I went looking for her history.  She wrote her Dad and Mothers history but I only found a paragraph of one she had written on herself.  As far as I know she never wrote her own history.
            I have always thought to myself who would want to know about me?  Then I remind myself that I want to know about my ancestors, I would love to read about them, about their thoughts and feelings as they went through their journey in life.
            Over the years I have read various books on writing your personal history, even bought a few of the fill in the blank books, but the one suggestion for you is this one.
            Get a three ring binder, it doesn’t have to be fancy, even one you would take to school with lined paper in it.  You then go and start writing titles on each page, for example “First Day of School” on one page “Play in Grade School” on another page “First Garden” on another page, “The Drive In Theater” on another.  You get the picture, write things you want to write about and put the pages back in your folder.  As you think of a title start a new page. 
            The next step is to pull out a page and write a story about your memory then put it back in your binder.  When I started doing this I didn’t have many things I could think of, but the more I did this the more I thought of things to write about. 
            I don’t know about you, but to read I was born on this day and grew up and got married and had kids then grew old doesn’t sound very interesting to me.  If anyone ever wants to know about me, I would rather they really know about me in my stories.  You aren’t writing your history, you are writing your story.
            If you write your story this way you will find you won’t feel the pressure of having to do it, but will enjoy each memory and truly put yourself into it.
            Try it; let me know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment