01 09 10

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ironrite

 
 

“Take a Holiday from hand ironing for the rest of your life” is what is on the front of the manual for my new or should I say new to me Ironrite.  That sounds good to me. 
            I am so happy - I just got an Ironrite from my mother.  I remember a few years ago when she called me excited to tell me she had found an Ironrite at a garage sale by her house.  She told me only the women with money used to have an Ironrite, in other words she always wanted one and was unable to have one when they came out.  I saw the garage sale price tag of $60.00 on the side of the Ironrite, it is missing the cover but to me it is absolutely wonderful.
            The gear oil needs to be drained and replaced; I have already cleaned around the machine as it was in her basement where she seldom used it.  I will use it for fun and for my sewing business.
            Looking over comments on the internet I think Ironrite owners are obsessive about their little machine that was from the 40’s to the 60’s.  The few times I have used it I got into a rhythm as I have rolled the clothes through the iron, using the right petal to lift the roller up and down and the left petal to pause it.  It might become my new meditation time, soothing and it reminds me of using my spinning wheel.  (Something I need to do more of as I haven’t done it enough to really know what I am doing.)  I can see why there are so many Ironrite owners who love their old fashioned Ironrite.
            I will get out my old water sprinkler for the things I will iron, it fits on top of an old fashioned soda pop bottle to sprinkle the clothes and let them set before they are ready to iron.  I showed the bottle sprinkler to my daughter the other day and told her what it was used for; her generation never used them, now they have fancy steam irons and don’t need it anymore – unless you have an Ironrite.  I guess I’m one of the wealthy people now, I own an Ironrite.


No comments:

Post a Comment