01 09 10

Friday, May 10, 2013

Planting Beans

 
 
You are probably looking at this picture and thinking I will never be able to live up to that picture.  Well, it isn’t a picture of my bush bean garden, not enough weeds and the soil isn’t that pretty at my place.  I am working on it, but give me time and a gardener.  Let’s face it, we are not Martha Stewart.  When I say I am going to plant beans today, that doesn’t mean I have a group of gardeners who will be planting today and I may be the supervisor or just tell them to do so.  I admire Martha and am a wishing I had the staff she does, but I have to deal with who I have – me, a husband who is busy and young Grandkids who are willing but get easily distracted.   So all you gardeners out there with less cash flow than Martha, do the best you can and you will enjoy the fruits of your labors.  Just a few hints to help you be more successful, at least things I feel help me to have a better bush bean harvest.
The other beans that are included in the bush beans I am talking about are wax beans, green beans, snap, and butter beans.  If you plant a little celery with them, about one celery plant to every six or seven beans that will help.
Plant cucumbers with bush beans and they will do well together.  Bush beans planted in strawberry rows help each other, both advancing more rapidly than if planted alone.
Bush beans help corn if you plant them in alternate rows.  Do not plant near fennel (don't like or onions, all beans don’t like onions.  Beans do grow well with summer savory. 
I do like the way they have the small fences up in the picture above to help keep the beans upright, great idea!


No comments:

Post a Comment